The Higher council of Arts and Social Science recommended the establishment of the Institute of Arabic Music in 1959.
Such Institute aims at graduating specialised musicians in different fields of music such as singing, performing and composing.
This institute will be considered as a specialized center for musical studies.
The higher Institutes of Music's affiliated to the Ministry of Culture according to the state president's decree no 1439 in 1959, issued for the establishment of higher Artistic Institutes.
Law no 78 in 1969 provided for the establishment of the Academy of arts. The Higher Institute of Music became a Composite of the Academy to the aforementioned law as well as law no 158 in 1981
The Goals of the Institute:
- Developing and improving Arabic Music.
- Graduating specialized musicians in different fields of music.
- Enriching the musical arts especially in the fields of performing and singing.
- Establishing a highly experienced musical companies in the following fields.
- Um Kulthum Company for Arabic Music.
- A religious reciting company.
Departments of the Institute:
The higher Institute of Arabic music in academy of Arts Comprises the following departments:
- Arab singing department:
It teaches both Arab singing and Arab theatre singing.
- Instrument Department:
It teaches kanoun, Nai, Lute, Oud, Violin, Cello, Contrabass, Arab percussion instruments.
- Musical Composites and leadership department:
It teaches musical compositions and leadership in post graduate studies.
- Arab Music Science Department:
It teaches Arab music science.
The Institutes awards the following degrees:
- B.A in Arab music in the aforementioned specialization.
- Post graduate studies diploma in the aforementioned specialization.
- M.A degree in Arab musical arts
- Ph.D. in arts or in philosophy of arts in the previously mentioned majors.
Methods of study:
- Under Graduate (Secondary).
- Post Graduate study (According to the Admission regulating rules).
- Free Studies (According to the Private regulating rules).
- Parallel education (According to the Credit hours)